Friday, April 29, 2011

Just a Little Drama

“Where is she?” Jason asked as he entered the hallway of the police precint. Detective Melbourne turned to see who was asking. Approaching Jason with hands up as if to stop him, he told him.

“We have her in custody, Mr. Matthews. That’s all you need to know. Now why don’t you let me have an officer drive you home, and you can be with the rest of your family.”

“Detective, that woman murdered my wife and now my son is missing. If he’s alive, I have to know where he is.” His brow was wet with sweat, and the muscles in his face were tired from crying uncontrollably for the loss of his wife. Trembling, he looked Melbourne in the eye. “Please, I know this woman, and I promise I won’t try anything. I just want to know where my son is, and I know she can tell me.”

Melbourne looked at the clock, and looked back at Jason. Jason was shifting his weight from side to side to satisfy his nerves, his hands clenched together at the center of his chest. The detective reached for his keys.

“Come here.” Melbourne turned down the hallway and opened up a cold room with walls of cinderblock. Inside was a small table and two very old swivel chairs. The padding on them was nearly worn out. “Sit here for just a moment. I’ll be right back.”

Jason collapsed in the chair. The impact of his body falling into it startled him. He has been up 21 hours and his motor skills were not as keen on account of his emotional and now tiring states. Each waking moment that passed was like an eternity to him, as he poured over his mind to figure out what she might have done with his son. He prayed repeatedly to God, “Please let him be okay, please let him be okay. God, let her tell me where he is, so I can get him immediately.” He laid his head down on the table for what seemed like just a moment, but it had really been 17 minutes. Suddenly he was startled at the sound of keys in the door. The door opened, and Melbourne appeared.

“I need you to stand up.” Jason did. “Face the wall, and lift your arms up.” Melbourne began to pat Jason down. He removed a fountain pen and a set of keys from his pockets. “I’m going to take these from you for the moment.” Jason nodded, as Melbourne handed the contents to an officer with a large Ziploc bag. “You’ll get them back in just a minute.” Melbourne looked him over. He was sizing him up to make sure he didn’t need more muscle in the room, but Jason looked so weakened by the days events. He had pity for him. “You can put your hands down and sit back in the chair.” He paused. “Jason, this really isn’t a good idea for a lot of reasons. Even if she does know where Parker is, I’m not sure she’s going to tell you.”

Jason looked up at Melbourne and forced out the only words he could, “I have to try.” Melbourne nodded. He turned and opened the door again.

She came in the room in chains, and her face was dead pan. She wouldn’t even look at Jason as she sat down across from him at the table. Melbourne was at the end of the table adjacent to the wall.

“Where is my son?” Jason asked.

1 comment:

  1. Ok...I am hooked. Now post the next segment already!

    ReplyDelete