Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Scan Away

Molly and I just saw a report on the news about new body scanners at the airport, and it didn’t dawn on me that the new scanner they use is still a topic of controversy for some people. Just a couple of weeks ago I arrived in Fresno and passed by the security checkpoint to see a lady receiving a full pat down from one of the TSA agents there. I didn’t realize until my return trip that she was being patted down because she elected not to submit for a full body scan.

As a business traveler who travels 2-3 days a week, I have to say, what’s the big deal? What do people think they are hiding under their clothes. If you have man boobs, we can tell. If you have a little chub in your gut, we can tell. Everybody’s got something.

An article on KRLD.com showed the type photos that these TSA agents are looking at of our bodies. Are they anatomically revealing? Yes they are. Are they skin-toned x-ray goggles that Superman would be flattered by? Absolutely not. In my opinion they are a small step beyond wearing spandex through the security checkpoint in the airport. I think some people are scared that their fellow travelers are sneaking a peak at their birthday suit the same way you can see the x-ray screens examining your luggage. Well to put you at rest (possibly), the people viewing your image are in a separate room in the airport communicating with the TSA agents in line. It is not the peep show everyone makes it out to be.

At the end of the day, I just don’t care if the man or woman behind the curtain sees my anatomy. Then again, I don’t have any body piercings, third nipples, or malformations I’m trying to hide. Still I doubt if there is a picture of the week hanging up in the break room for the other TSA agents to gawk at. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. It makes me a little nervous, even though I know they can see my potbelly without a scanner. But I still think that might be better than being patted down. And, honestly, I'd never thought about the TSA breakroom having X-ray pics up to point at...now I'm really nervous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only concern isn't with my modesty level but rather the amount of radiation endured. I don't travel enough to worry but you and many others I know should be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I understand, it's not radiation. It's sound waves that basically take a sonographic picture of your body.

    ReplyDelete