Sunday, April 3, 2011

Luke, I Am Your...Mentor?

In a pivotal moment in “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back” Luke is battling Darth Vader who is trying to convince him to come over to the Dark side of the Force, and at a point where Luke is questioning everything he has been taught, Darth Vader reveals the truth; that he is Luke’s father.

Sorry if I ruined that for anybody, but you’ve had 30 years to watch it. It’s not my fault. I feel like I have been fairly well prepared for my life. My brother and I grew up with a roof over our heads, loving parents who are still together, and opportunities to grow in our education as well as to learn how to be functioning adults in society. But without direction, I feel like an unguided missile. There are many things that I could do, but what things should I do? I currently travel for my job and I teach dentists how to run their office properly and how to make good business decisions. One of the first things we tell every office is that, in order to succeed, they must make goals, they must have mentors, and they must be students for life.

At a moment where Darth Vader revealed this truth to Luke, he was hoping this would be the tipping point to lead Luke to the Dark side. He wanted to become Luke’s new mentor, but the position was already filled. He was being trained by Yoda and by the spirit of Obi-Wan.

As I have progressed through this year, I have struggled to make meaningful goals because I lack a clear direction. Being a Christian, I pray for such a directions daily, but we all need to be learning from someone else. Joshua had Moses, David had Nathaniel, Timothy had Paul, and I am certain God wants to use godly men and women to speak the Truth to me, but it will take some effort on my part to have what Jesus calls “ears to hear”.

Who is your Yoda? Do you have a mentor? If not, you could be denying yourself an opportunity to grow. Be well, and “may the force be with you.”

1 comment: