Monday, November 7, 2011

Abraham the father of Isaac, the father of Jacob, the father of...

Yesterday I sat in church for the first time in a month.  My spirit was parched for the Word of God, and as I listened to the pastor, I felt the Lord's leading me to start reading through the book of Matthew.

It begins with the genealogy of Jesus Christ through his earthly father Joseph, and I had a fleeting thought to just skip all the begats, bars and son ofs.  Many do this and I have done this before, but I was prompted by the Spirit to read through it.  I believe that Scripture is "God-breathed" and that if it wasn't suppose to be there, it wouldn't be.  After reading through the list, I am impressed once again how God uses every bit of Scripture to build up the body.

Starting in 1:6, the list includes "Jesse who was the father of David the king.  David was the father of Solomon by Bathsheba who had been the wife of Uriah."

David, the king in his time, basically was watching Bathsheba bathe on her rooftop from his window over looking the kingdom, and he decided he wanted her for his wife.  Her husband was at war and conveniently (emphasis mine) died on the front lines by David's design.  He is confronted by a close friend and he repents, unable of course to bring her husband back to life and undo his mistake.  What I gleaned from this bit of Scripture is that God is so awesome in His sovereignty to be able to use even our most treacherous mistakes for his glory.  So to echo Paul's burning question from Romans 6:1 "Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?  May it never be!"  Thank God that our mistakes are not powerful enough to thwart the plan of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment