Saturday, March 12, 2011

Wal*Mart Takes Back Everything...Don't They?

My wife and I host several events each month at our apartment complex. When shopping for these events, our store of choice is the local Wal*Mart for a few reasons. Typically they have better prices there, and we can find everything we need all in one place. On occasion we buy more than we need, and Wal*Mart always takes it back with or without a receipt. We have taken back all of the following items personally and for the community:

Boxes of Diapers
Boxes of Eggs
Tubes of Sausage
Holiday Decorations
Wrapping paper
Office Supplies
Unopened Cookies from the Bakery

I have taken back an entire basket full of groceries. We have never stumbled upon an item they wouldn’t take back.

My mother-in-law has a 2+ acre lot and has two lawn mowers; one a riding mower and one a push mower. The push mower worked once last spring and never again. Upon hearing about this, I went to Lowes where they were ready to give me a new one only to realize they didn’t carry that brand. When I asked who might sell it, I was directed to Wal*Mart.

I was feeling good. Lowe’s was ready to take it back and replace it, and in my experience, Wal*Mart takes everything back. Although these were special circumstances, I was hopeful. It was a busy Saturday, and I waited patiently for a manager to come help me. I explained to him my situation and his response was “absolutely not”. As a business consultant I can see where he was coming from. I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere, but there is something to be said about standing up for your products. In the end, Home Depot stepped up to the plate. Before the manager saw it, he had pretty much made up his mind to give us a new one. You live and learn, and one think I can take away from this experience is…Home Depot takes back everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment